Maddie is growing up so darn fast, and Matt and I are just doing the same old stuff...
Matt just finished his first semester in the nursing program here at Dixie State. He did very well and enjoyed his classes. He is taking a class this summer as well, so he won't get much of a break unfortunately, but he is doing great. He is also an amazing dad. It is awesome to watch him with Maddie. I couldn't ask for a better husband and father for my children.
I just finished my 2nd year of teaching. I had an amazing 5th grade class this year. They were awesome... both smart AND fun. The last part of school was very bittersweet. I am so glad to have a summer break and be home with Maddie, but it was hard to say goodbye to this group of kids. I'll miss them.
Maddie had her 1st birthday on April 26. I can't believe it has already been a year since we had her. She is very friendly, showing-off and demanding attention everywhere we go. She is running all over the place and getting into EVERYTHING. She decided at about 8 months that crawling was not her thing. I think it is because she was not able to keep up with her cousin Dax. He is running right along with her now, but at 8 months, he was a super-crawler, and she didn't stand a chance keeping up with him. So she began to work on standing, balancing, and taking little steps... by 9 months she was walking around with no help, and she and Dax would chase each other around. She could keep up a little more effectively this way. I have decided this was a bonus for me as well... she doesn't get nearly as dirty as when she was crawling, and she doesn't find as many things to put in her mouth... both good things for the mom.
A few other new developments of the past few months...
- She has learned how to wave, clap, spin, and stomp... she is becoming quite the copy-cat of anything cool she sees other people do.
- She knows what to do when she hears "if your happy and you know it".
- She loves to play peek-a-boo.
- She loves to climb anything... the stairs, bookshelf, couches. etc.
- She knows what she wants and has major attitude at times when she doesn't get it (this I am not so happy about).
- She can show us where her eyes and nose are... although most of the time after she points to her nose, her finger disappears... needless to say, we don't ask her to show us her nose quite as often as we used to.
- She tries to say "moo" like a cow (it still needs much work but it's coming...)
- She eats by herself (sometimes)
- She points with one finger
- She LOVES shoes!!! She brings my shoes to me, Matt's shoes to him, and tries them all on herself.
- She loves music and is beginning to dance. Her latest move is the head-banging technique. She especially likes Def Leopard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me". I have a video I wanted to put on, but I am having serious issues with that so you'll have to just imagine it...
That is all I can think of right now. Mostly, she is simply a JOY to our lives. We love her. She brings smiles to our faces constantly and is such a blessing to us.
Here are some pictures of recent highlights: