Monday, December 7, 2009

Just a little update...

Tonight I came home from Matt's Christmas work party and sat down to check my email and look at the weather. I saw the link for our blog and realized I hadn't posted for over six months... a prime example of why I wasn't ever going to blog in the first place. I guess I'll do a quick update...

This summer, Matt and I had some big decisions to make... Should I continue working, even after having Maddie, to get Matt through school? What does Matt really want to study at school anyways? Should we keep renting or try to buy a little place while prices are down? If I work, who will watch Maddie?

Well, after many discussions, prayers, studying, pondering, etc... we weighed our options. Considering the state of the economy, my job being pretty stable, having a child to care and provide for, and having wonderful parents and other family members who were willing to watch Maddie... we decided I would keep working until Matt finishes school. With that decision made, we needed to decide about the house situation. Should we keep renting or should we buy. On the one hand, renting would save us on the roof-over-our-head part of the monthly budget. However, my own opinion, I hate renting. I know there is a time and place for it for most people, but knowing that we pay that money and its value if forever gone for us is hard for me. Buying, on the other hand, would do a bit more for us... help build our equity and credit, etc. Yet that would increase our roof-over-our-head part of the budget significantly and is much more responsibility. Buying would also lock me into working, where if we kept renting, I could change my mind and quit if I really felt the need. (This is how my brain works... do you feel bad for Matt yet?!) This was a hard decision, especially for me. Again, after many discussions, prayers, studying, pondering, etc... we decided to go ahead and buy a house. Not our dream house by any means... but a little house we could call our own. We bought a townhome in Hidden Valley, kind of by Bloomington Hills. We really love it. I can't say I haven't wondered if we made the wrong decision. I have even almost regretted it a time or two, although I try not to because, in many ways, it is too late. It is SO SO hard for me to leave my baby each morning. The only thing that makes it okay with me is that Matt or one of Maddie's grandmas are usually watching her. If not them, it is one of our sisters. Thank heavens for family members who are willing to help us and who love Maddie almost as much as we do. We are so grateful, and forever in debt, to all of them.

In the meantime, Matt was having a hard time deciding where he ultimately wanted to end up as far as an occupation goes. It seems so overwhelming sometimes when you are closer to the beginning than the end. We decided to take it one step at a time. He knew he wanted to do something in health care that allowed him to work with people. He decided to begin with nursing school. He applied for the program at Dixie State and will start in January. We'll see where he goes after that, but right now we are just focusing on getting this step done.

I went back to Bloomington Elementary. Last year was my first year of teaching. I had the most wonderful third grade class ever! I loved third grade. Well you know the stable job thing I mentioned earlier... it was on the condition that I change grades. I was on my way to first grade... spent all summer getting geared up and ready for that. Two days before school stared, I had my classroom on the verge of ready... then my principal called me in. The numbers were off what she thought they were going to be and wondered if I would be willing to change to fifth grade.... WHAT??? Third to first to... fifth? How could I say yes? How could I say no? It was only my second year, we had just bought a house, and I needed a job. I said yes. My wonderful family flew in to rescue me once again. It was amazing, and very humbling, to know that I had such amazing family (both mine and Matt's) that were willing to drop everything to come help... for many many hours, day and night, without stopping until it was done. The other teachers were amazed at how well it came together, and all I could say was it was ALL thanks to my family. Anyhow, I'm now in the middle of fifth grade. I have to say, I've learned a lot. I often feel very inadequate at teaching these kids. I am studying the curriculum and freshening up on facts constantly. I am enjoying it though. I have a class full of great kids once again, and I am adjusting. The first trimester was a bit rough, but we are starting to settle in much better.

Maddie is 8 months old at the end of the month... I can't believe how fast time is flying. She still has a bunch of dark hair and blue eyes and is the cutest thing ever (I might be a bit biased). She has quite the little attitude at times, has since she was just tiny. She is happy most of the time, but she knows what she wants and lets us know if she isn't getting it. She is sitting up and rolling all over the place. We have done pretty well with her increasing ability to reach, grab, move and be mobile... until last week. She got her finger smashed in the stroller, fell out of her swing, and rolled off the bed... all in the past week! She hasn't figured out the crawling thing (probably best for her safety sake). She gets up on her hands and knees but it hasn't gotten any further. She LOVES to stand and walk around while we hold her hands. I think she just go straight to walking if only she could figure out the balance thing. I just wish she would stop growing up so fast! She keeps us busy... we love it!
That pretty much catches us up I think... We are doing great, all things considered. We are healthy and happy... Life is beautiful!

Here are a few pictures of our darling baby...









She loves playing with Dax...



Even when they attack each other! :-)




3 comments:

MeganDan said...

Wow! I had no idea that you went to 5th grade. That is quite the change. I don't know if I could do it, but I guess that's how we test our abilities (getting thrown into them).

Hey, send me your address meg.allen101@gmail.com

Erica Locke said...

Girl, You are great! I didn't read this post until just now so I had to ask you all of those questions, ha. It was so fun seeing you over the break. You look amazing and your little Maddie is a doll. Thanks for making it to my shower even though it was a busy time. I didn't get to say goodbye, but I love you and I was happy to see yoU!!! Thanks for the Krumpets card...I love that place and am excited to get something from there.

Ploharz Family said...

Hey I found your blog through Kaydee's! It was so fun to see you again!! Thanks for chasing collin around at the reception!! Maddie is adorable, they get so big so fast!! I can't wait to see more and keep up with a little of your life!! Your are welcome to see my blog as well www.ploharz.blogspot.com I think that is it?!!